Google Analytics

Monday, April 16, 2012

New baby quilt finished


I'd like to share with you a project I've been working on or the past few days.
This quilt is a 3-generations baby quilt. I trapuntod the 3 lady's names in the inner grey sashing and the year the youngest baby was born (2012.)

The Fabric I used for this quilt is all by "Ritzy" except for the inner grey border which is "Etchings" and the backing fabric which is "Lily & Will."
Thread is light grey Aurifil, Light Pink Mettler, and Dark Grey Connecting Threads.
I messed up on a block. . WHOOPS!
Finished TOP!
Then, using a water-soluble marker I write what I want to Trapunto on the top side of the quilt.
I used several layers of high-loft battting and pin it to the back. Then with a free-motion foot I quilt around the lines I drew. You can use water-soluble thread or thread to match the quilt top or invisible thread. Then *very carefully* you cut aroundd the edges of the batting. This takes quite a long time ;c) You have to be very careful NOT to cut into the quilt top.
Then starting from the outside edges and working inward, you densely quilt up to the edges of your text or shape you want to stick out.
I used a kind of figure-8 design. . because I've decided I'm no good at microstippling. WHO CARES of lines are crossed! ;c) you just want to realllllly get that area quilted as much as possible. . you can just squiggle all over the place if you want.
Here's the 4 areas with trapunto finished:

Center of the quilt all quilted:


Here's a closeup of the center - I did my version of McTavishing in the white areas of the Ohio Star blocks and then outline quilted in the pink areas (star areas.)
Shot of the back:

I love the look of the sun shining through a quilt - you can see all the seam allowances and it looks really cool to me.

I did a sort of squiggle in the inner grey border and a half feather in the outer border. I only had time to do a half feather. . I know this would have looked much better with a full feather.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's some amazing quilting! Had to laugh about the "who cares" thing! I sure don't LOL I'm sure whoever gets the quilt won't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! I love the half feather. The trapunto with the names is freaking awesome. I'm with you on the mirco stippling - cross those lines, they look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's really cool how you did that. Love the trapunto of the names and date. Wow

    ReplyDelete